Hurricane Relief Fundraiser
SCE is collecting money to donate to the Red Cross to help those affected by recent hurricanes. Your student can wear pajamas to school for every day you make a donation during the week of Sept. 25-29.
SCE Dines Out
The next SCE Dines Out event is Thursday, Sept. 14. Mexico Lindo will donate a portion of its evening proceeds to SCE. Be sure to take a break from dinner duty. You can dine in or take out.
School pictures will be taken on Wednesday (Aug. 30) morning. Students need to be in compliance with dress code to have their picture made.
Looking for tutors
We need parent/grandparent volunteers to help tutor SCE students that need a little extra help. It only takes 20 minutes a week and we can find a time that is convenient for you and the student. If you can volunteer, please contact Paige Herr at firstname.lastname@example.org or 205-746-7651. Let her know what days and times work best.
Art room supplies needed
Please send to Ms. Lucas -- Catalogs and old magazines, rags, Ziploc bags and new or used Tupperware (lidless works, too). She has also requested old hand soap dispensers for the self-service paint department.
Solar Eclipse Glasses
Please don't throw out your eclipse glasses! Send them back to school so they can be recycled for children in Asia and Latin America who will experience a solar eclipse in 2019.
Just send them in and have your child give them to their teacher. We and some of our awesome Girl Scouts will collect them from the teachers at a later date.
Tonight is Shades Cahaba's open house and parent night. There will be two sessions when you may visit your child's classroom. Sessions run from 6:00 to 6:30 and 6:40 to 7:10.
PTO will have SCE gear and kindergarten nap mats for sale in the main lobby. You may also contribute to SCE's classroom assistance fund by visiting the PTO table in the lobby. Come check out the new shirts before you head to your child's classroom!
Ways to help SCE
Here are a few reminders about ways you can help support our school.
1. Clip Box Tops and drop them off in the SCE lobby. Please trim the box tops and place them in a Ziploc bag labeled with the number of Box Tops inside.
2. Clip Labels for Education. This program is coming to an end soon, so please scour your pantry and clip them from any items you have. They have stopped producing these labels and we will do one last collection. Please trim the labels and place them in a Ziploc bag labeled with the number of labels inside. Place them in their designated box in the lobby.
3. Planet Fundraiser. Please consider downloading the Planet Fundraiser app and designating SCE. Planet Fundraiser participants (i.e. Piggly Wiggly, Chick-fil-A and so many others) designate a portion of your purchases as a donation. It's as easy as snapping a picture of your receipt.
4. Pick up a Publix Partners key tag in the SCE lobby and be sure to use it every time you shop at Publix.
5. Eat out on SCE Family Dine Out nights. See calendar in the left rail of this website.
6. Purchase a service at Genesis Nail Spa and record your name on their SCE log.
Are you Ready?
Teachers have been revealed and now it's time for back to school! Class begins at 8 a.m. on Wednesday, August 9. Meet the Teacher day is Monday, August 7 from 2-4 p.m (Kindergarten is at 1 p.m.). See the blog post below on how to navigate the day. See you soon and enjoy these last few moments of Summer.
Class list reveal
Class lists will be posted in the windows on the Gran Avenue side of the school at 3 p.m., Friday, Aug. 4. Come check out your new class, see friends, and enjoy ice cream from Edgewood Creamery. Ice cream will be for sale, so bring $3 cash per scoop.
How to navigate Meet the Teacher Day
1. We will now be accepting credit cards, as well as cash and checks, for SCE gear and nap mats. Checks require phone number and address.
2. Meet Your Teacher. Pre-ordered supply boxes will be in your classroom.
3. We have all new SCE spirit gear. Stop by the gym to get your new gear. (Note: All kindergarten nap mats will be in the gymnasium, so if you pre-ordered one, please pick it up there, too.)
4. Also at the gym, learn about volunteering with the PTO, room parent signup or join the Cub Scouts or Girl Scouts.
5. Visit the lunchroom to find out your lunch number and procedures, and how to deposit money into your account. Lunch accounts require a separate check made out to SCECNP. You can use one check for all children in one family.
6. Extended Day Program: To sign up your child, please stop by the EDP room on the lower level. This account will also require a separate check to Shades Cahaba EDP. Writing one check for all children in one family is fine.
Shades Cahaba PTO wants to connect with YOU!
New Users will need to verify their email and password through an email confirmation. Once this step is confirmed, complete the online forms starting with your Family Information. Then you can order school supplies and complete the 2017-2018 volunteer form and even volunteer to help at Spirit Day this year!