Please join us for our meeting in the library on Sept. 10 at 11:30 and feel free to bring your lunch.
Smile! Individual photos are being taken on Sept. 6.
If you have any of the following and are willing to donate them, please send them to school with your child.
- Happy Meal sized small toys to be used for observational skill/ still life drawing
- Sewing needles of all sizes (large eyed preferred)
- Straight pins with colored heads
- Fabric sample books (large squares of fabric to be used for sewing projects)
SCE Open House! 📚✏️
Please join us for an open house at our school on Tuesday, August 14th at 6 pm. This is for parents and guardians only—no students, please. Come see what the students have been up to in their new classrooms and enjoy time with their teacher! 🍎
Library Block Party
Don’t forget the Homewood Library Foundation’s 5th annual Block Party on Sunday, Aug 11th. Our own Dr. Lowry will be in the dunk tank 5-5:30 and Coach Christian is in it from 7:30-8 pm! 💦 💦
Off to a great start
Open House is scheduled for Aug. 14. at 5:30. Please note: no students at Open House.
Teacher reveal & Meet the teacher
It's such a fun tradition at SCE to wait for class lists to be posted in the windows at the school. The lists will be posted on the Gran Avenue side of the school at 3 p.m., Friday, Aug. 3. Come check out your new class, see friends, and enjoy ice cream from Edgewood Creamery. Ice cream will be for sale, so bring $3.50 cash per scoop. Meet the teacher day will be on Aug. 6!
Have a great summer vacation and we will see you in August for another great year at SCE.
Time to Order School Supplies
School supply kits for 2018-19 may be purchased online from April 16 to May 18. Before ordering you will need to verify your family information and add any incoming kindergarten students.
Follow this link and it will take you through the steps: https://scespto.membershiptoolkit.com/Open_Forms
If you would like to purchase your own supplies, the list for each grade is available under the supplies link above.
Please contact Supply Chair Alexa McElroy at email@example.com if you have any questions.
* Beginning Thursday April 12, student online registration will begin for the next school year. You should have received a sheet with details in your Tuesday Communicator yesterday. The online portion is to be completed by May 24th.
* The on-site portion of registration will include submitting a copy of your July power bill and a current tax or lease notice. These can be dropped of or mailed to the school by July 27th.
* Kindergarteners: SCE is ready to welcome our 99th K class and there will be a special tour on May 8th at 4pm just for you! You will hear registration details and all of the pertinent info that you will need in order to navigate your first year at SCE. We look forward to seeing all those smiling faces!
* Spirit Day will be held Tuesday, May 22. Details on how to volunteer for this fun event will be coming out soon. Contact Spirit Day Chair Courtney McCrory at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
You lift us up
Teacher Appreciation Week will be April 23-27. This year our theme is “You Lift Us Up.” We will be recognizing our wonderful SCE teachers in a different way each day this week.
Monday: Rise Up -- Teachers will be treated to breakfast. Students will be asked to bring their teacher a flower to put into a vase that will be provided in their classrooms
Tuesday: Speak Up -- Students will be asked to speak up about their teacher by completing a handout and/or writing a note to their teacher. Teachers will have a snack treat in the break room.
Wednesday: Fuel Up -- Teachers will be treated to a special sweet treat. Students will be asked to bring their teacher’s favorite candy or snack.
Thursday: Round Up -- Students will be asked to bring needed classroom supplies.
Friday: Light Up -- Thank you for being a light in our lives. Teachers will have a special catered lunch. And classrooms will help teachers enjoy their lunch by providing a duty-free lunch.
Homewood City Schools Foundation will host the 5th annual Homewood Grown on April 12th. This fun event includes live music, a seated dinner, a distinguished Homewood speaker and the awarding of the 2018 Teacher Impact Awards. Proceeds benefit the Homewood City Schools Foundation.
This event always sells out so get your tickets now!
To purchase tickets click here.
Art teacher Mrs. Lucas is in search of old or unused sandpaper for an upcoming project. Send it in with your child to school.
Tonight is bring your parents to school night at 6 p.m.
Winter Festival nets fundraising high
Thanks, Shades Cahaba family
This year’s Winter Festival was a huge success, but we couldn’t have done it without everyone in the SCE family. With your help we raised an all-time high of more than $77,000 for our school.
Thanks, Winter Festival volunteers
A big THANK YOU to all of the amazing volunteers who made this year’s Winter Festival a huge success! Thanks also to SCE administrators, teachers and staff. In addition, we are thankful for our corporate sponsors and the many businesses that donated to the silent auction. Special thanks to the following committee chairs:
Chair: Carla DuMontier
Co-chair: Tiffany Slocum
Bake Sale Chair: Kristen Chapleau
Cahaba Canteen: Jenny Crump
Cahaba Canteen Co-Chair: Jennifer Giardina
Class Art Projects Chair: Chris Johnson
Class Art Projects Co-Chair: KC Templeton
Corporate Sponsorships: Jeremy Bernstein, Cia Tompkins
Decorations Chair: Ashley Byrom
Decorations Co-chair: Kristy Hinds
Food: Kathryn Pennington
Food Co-chair: Candace Crouch
Gym Games Chair: Neely Hughey
Gym Games Co-chair: Natalie Wearren
Logo Design: Akiko Jones
Owlmazing Race Chair: Tabby McLain
Owlmazing Race Co-chair: Gigi Whaley
Owlmazing Race Co-chair: Daley King
Outside/Inside Games Chair: Ashley Gustin
Outside/Inside Games Co-chair: Mitchell Whaley
Silent Auction: Mary Frances Haines
Social Media Chair: Jess Mason
Ticket Sales Chair: Alexa McElroy
Ticket Sales Co-chair: Cecily Lowe
Volunteer Coordinator Chair: Dory Serotsky
Volunteer Coordinator Co-chair: Hannah Martin
•Winter Festival ❄️ is Saturday! Do you have tickets 🎟? If not, head to Bidpal to purchase with no lines or waiting!
•Our silent auction will be on Bidpal Saturday during the festival 💳📲!
•Make sure to follow us on Instagram 📸 @scewinterfestivalauction for sneak peeks of amazing auction items like these you see here! We have fabulous items such as Disney Park Hopper Passes, A Homewood Quarterback Experience, a weekend at quaint and rustic,The Foggy Gobble, in Mentone and several Camp Mac packages! 🏰⛺️
Owlmazing Race Info 🦉
Packets for our student fundraiser, the Owlmazing Race, have gone home. The race is February 16th and we will need some volunteers, so look for a signup genius here. If you have any questions please contact Tabby McClain at email@example.com 🏃🏽♂️
Winter Festival auction
We now have an Instagram page for our SCE Winter Festival auction events! Please make sure to follow us for updates and share with friends! @SCEWinterfestivalauction
Custodial Gift donations needed
Our dedicated custodial and cafeteria staff do so much for our children each day, so please help us present Christmas cheer to them in the form of a monetary gift. If you'd like to assist, place your donation (cash only; no checks) in an envelope with "custodial/cafeteria staff donation" written on the front and send it to school. Money will be collected through Thursday, Dec. 14. These gifts will be presented to each of the four custodians and five cooks this Friday morning, the 15th. Many thanks!
Box Tops/Labels for Education Clipping Contest: Nov. 3-Dec. 1
Send in your Box Tops and Labels for Education! Each classroom will be collecting these all month. The class with the most Box Tops and Labels for Education will receive an ice pop party from the PTO. Keep in mind: This is your last chance to send in Labels for Education because this program has been discontinued. Please take a few minutes to collect any that you might have and send them in.
Halloween Candy Drive
SCE needs your help collecting candy for Winter Festival. Please place your bags of candy in the donation bin in the SCE lobby. If you are donating any leftover individually wrapped candy, please place it in a ziplock bag. Now is a great time to go shopping for Halloween candy during the post-holiday sales.
Library Book Fair
Stop by the library after your parent teacher conference to purchase a book to give to the library. Your student's name will be inscribed in the front and they will be able to check it out first.
Owl Prowl and Pumpkin Patch
In anticipation of Tropical Storm Nate, Owl Prowl has been canceled. The Pumpkin Patch will be held in the SCES gym on Saturday, Oct. 14, from 2:30-6. Come enjoy face painting, fall goodies, and be sure to vote for your favorite pumpkin at the teacher carving contest all while benefiting Magic Moments!
Hurricane Relief Fundraiser
SCE is collecting money to donate to the Red Cross to help those affected by recent hurricanes. Your student can wear pajamas to school for every day you make a donation during the week of Sept. 25-29.
SCE Dines Out
The next SCE Dines Out event is Thursday, Sept. 14. Mexico Lindo will donate a portion of its evening proceeds to SCE. Be sure to take a break from dinner duty. You can dine in or take out.
School pictures will be taken on Wednesday (Aug. 30) morning. Students need to be in compliance with dress code to have their picture made.
Looking for tutors
We need parent/grandparent volunteers to help tutor SCE students that need a little extra help. It only takes 20 minutes a week and we can find a time that is convenient for you and the student. If you can volunteer, please contact Paige Herr at firstname.lastname@example.org or 205-746-7651. Let her know what days and times work best.
Art room supplies needed
Please send to Ms. Lucas -- Catalogs and old magazines, rags, Ziploc bags and new or used Tupperware (lidless works, too). She has also requested old hand soap dispensers for the self-service paint department.
Solar Eclipse Glasses
Please don't throw out your eclipse glasses! Send them back to school so they can be recycled for children in Asia and Latin America who will experience a solar eclipse in 2019.
Just send them in and have your child give them to their teacher. We and some of our awesome Girl Scouts will collect them from the teachers at a later date.
Tonight is Shades Cahaba's open house and parent night. There will be two sessions when you may visit your child's classroom. Sessions run from 6:00 to 6:30 and 6:40 to 7:10.
PTO will have SCE gear and kindergarten nap mats for sale in the main lobby. You may also contribute to SCE's classroom assistance fund by visiting the PTO table in the lobby. Come check out the new shirts before you head to your child's classroom!
Ways to help SCE
Here are a few reminders about ways you can help support our school.
1. Clip Box Tops and drop them off in the SCE lobby. Please trim the box tops and place them in a Ziploc bag labeled with the number of Box Tops inside.
2. Clip Labels for Education. This program is coming to an end soon, so please scour your pantry and clip them from any items you have. They have stopped producing these labels and we will do one last collection. Please trim the labels and place them in a Ziploc bag labeled with the number of labels inside. Place them in their designated box in the lobby.
3. Planet Fundraiser. Please consider downloading the Planet Fundraiser app and designating SCE. Planet Fundraiser participants (i.e. Piggly Wiggly, Chick-fil-A and so many others) designate a portion of your purchases as a donation. It's as easy as snapping a picture of your receipt.
4. Pick up a Publix Partners key tag in the SCE lobby and be sure to use it every time you shop at Publix.
5. Eat out on SCE Family Dine Out nights. See calendar in the left rail of this website.
6. Purchase a service at Genesis Nail Spa and record your name on their SCE log.
Are you Ready?
Teachers have been revealed and now it's time for back to school! Class begins at 8 a.m. on Wednesday, August 9. Meet the Teacher day is Monday, August 7 from 2-4 p.m (Kindergarten is at 1 p.m.). See the blog post below on how to navigate the day. See you soon and enjoy these last few moments of Summer.
Class list reveal
Class lists will be posted in the windows on the Gran Avenue side of the school at 3 p.m., Friday, Aug. 4. Come check out your new class, see friends, and enjoy ice cream from Edgewood Creamery. Ice cream will be for sale, so bring $3 cash per scoop.
How to navigate Meet the Teacher Day
1. We will now be accepting credit cards, as well as cash and checks, for SCE gear and nap mats. Checks require phone number and address.
2. Meet Your Teacher. Pre-ordered supply boxes will be in your classroom.
3. We have all new SCE spirit gear. Stop by the gym to get your new gear. (Note: All kindergarten nap mats will be in the gymnasium, so if you pre-ordered one, please pick it up there, too.)
4. Also at the gym, learn about volunteering with the PTO, room parent signup or join the Cub Scouts or Girl Scouts.
5. Visit the lunchroom to find out your lunch number and procedures, and how to deposit money into your account. Lunch accounts require a separate check made out to SCECNP. You can use one check for all children in one family.
6. Extended Day Program: To sign up your child, please stop by the EDP room on the lower level. This account will also require a separate check to Shades Cahaba EDP. Writing one check for all children in one family is fine.
Shades Cahaba PTO wants to connect with YOU!
New Users will need to verify their email and password through an email confirmation. Once this step is confirmed, complete the online forms starting with your Family Information. Then you can order school supplies and complete the 2017-2018 volunteer form and even volunteer to help at Spirit Day this year!